The Grounds are embarking on the first leg of their summer tour dates, into Western Canada
It’s that time of year again where we look back over the past year and then look forward to the coming year. At SIN Agency we have so much to be thankful for and proud of over the course of 2012! We have grown and at the same time said good-byes that made us a bit sad. We have made some amazing new friends, while maintaining old friendships and enhancing them. The road to a career in music is full of highs and lows, struggle and sacrifices that give you moments in time that are simply irreplaceable. I’d like to take a few moments to recapture some of the past year as we move into the next and share them with you all.
- VERSUS THE NOTHING takes off on their 3rd and biggest North American tour spanning almost 3 months. The Grindstone Tour saw them back in old markets and
hitting new ones, winning them an even bigger audience south of the border and many demands to have them come back from all markets including the infamous Whiskey A Go Go in Hollywood. On a sadder note, VTN said farewell to long time and much loved band member Chris Shaw with a sold out good-bye show in July in their hometown Vancouver. Watch for a new album this year!
- STONE IRIS released “Illuminations” following up with a Western Canadian tour in May. July had them head south of the border on the Illumi-Nations Tour covering 2 months and most of the U.S. where they impacted our friends across the border so much that they are set to record a new album in 2013 in Kentucky. They came home to headline the Mad Hatter Festival, and have since been writing new material mixed in with a few key shows. With nothing slowing these guys down they have not one but 2 albums planned for the coming year to be supported by as many N.A. tours.
- ALL ELSE FAILS is nominated for “Metal Album of the Year” by the Edmonton Music Awards in February. The Hell and High Water Tour takes the band to Vancouver Island and new fans for the first time, in May. This trip also spawned the new web series “Breaking Acclaim” featuring the band’s infamous hijinks on tour. New drummer Shane Tym joins the band and fits so well we hardly thought of him as “the new guy”! 2012 also saw AEF premier 2 new music videos for singles off The Oracle: What Was, Is and Could Have Been album; “Obsidian Walls” was released to internet in April and “This Burden of Life” was picked up for rotation by Much LOUD in September and subsequently released to BlankTV in October where it currently has over 13,000 hits. 2012 has also seen high points for AEF opening for bands like Protest the Hero and The Dayglo Abortions, as well as hitting 10,000 plus Facebook fans that they celebrated by responding to fan votes for drummer Shane having bassist Seedy Mitchell’s face tattooed on his butt. New album in the works along with much more in store for the calculated calamity known as our resident metallers, All Else Fails!
- ARCANE SAINTS from Australia, SIN’s first international artists from outside N.A. mark their first trip to Canada with the Never Say Die Canadian Tour.
- We were proud to expand BLANK-FEST to two western Canadian cities with Blank-Fest Calgary II at the Blind Beggar Pub, in support of The Mustard Seed and the 1st Annual Blank-Fest Vancouver at The Railway Club in support of Covenant House Vancouver, both events taking place in November. The number of bands submitting to play was overwhelming, with both locations boasting some of the best talent in Canada.
- We had the privilege of working with bands like Quartered, Hemlock, Columbia, Alkatine, Scythia, Inside it Failed, Open AIR, Odium and many more on shows and tours.
Welcome to the SIN Family
- MATT BLAIS – We are very excited to welcome Calgary based Alternative Blues Rocker Matt Blais to our management roster. Matt has been in the music business for several years and adds his unique and cutting edge blues rock style, boasting tons of talent and energy to the SIN Agency roster, where he’s already very much at home. Watch for big things coming with Matt this year, starting with a The Canadian Heartbeat Tour and release of the brand new album “The Heartbeat” out February 26th!
- DOC KOHLER – We are also very excited to add Vancouver BC artist, Doc Kohler, front man for Inside It Failed, to our management roster with his solo project. Doc is a multifaceted artist and we are looking forward to working with and managing the many directions his career will be going. Solo album to be released in 2013!
- ANGELA FLUG & ADRIANA GRANDE – Welcome aboard as full time Blank-Fest Coordinators for SIN Agency. They have supported my dream with Blank-Fest through 2 years as volunteers and kept trying to convince me to let them do more. I’m finally learning to let go a little bit and share my baby. Angela and Adriana have taken on running these events for us and are now the main contacts.
I almost hate starting Thank You’s because I always forget or leave someone out that I shouldn’t have, so that said, if you aren’t on this list it’s not because we don’t appreciate you, we do! It’s been a long very full year and I hopefully have remembered to say thank you as each moment came and went and WILL make sure I do again.
- Skilly Sciliberto, my partner for the past two years. Thanks for putting up with all the crap as well as celebrating the highlights. I wish you all the best as you move on with your life outside of the music industry and if you ever miss us, you know where to find us.
- The SIN Agency team: Dusty Exner, Zeke Galt both agents extraordinaire. Thanks for rocking this biz, I couldn’t do it without you.
- Jon Asher! I love you man! Not only are you the BEST publicist EVER you are an awesome friend and colleague! Let’s kick some 2013 nads together! Looking forward always to what we can make happen.
- All the bands who took part in Blank-Fest 2012 with us: Matt Blais (Calgary & Vancouver), Jung People (Calgary), Mammoth Grove (Calgary), Atacama Republic (Calgary), Dreams of Reason (Calgary), Bloom (Calgary), Stone Iris (Calgary), Open AIR (Calgary & Vancouver), Dusty Tucker (Calgary), All Else Fails (Calgary), Leave the Living (Calgary), Before the Storm (Calgary), Kathy Frank (Vancouver), Mad Young Darlings (Vancouver), Cry of Silence (Vancouver), The Cut Losses (Vancouver), The Deadwax Collective (Vancouver), Handsome Distraction (Vancouver), The Coalition (Vancouver), Versus the Nothing (Vancouver), Thorntyr (Vancouver) and the mighty Titans Eve (Vancouver). You all ROCK! Much love!
- The Blank-Fest team: Dusty, Zeke, Angela, Adriana, Adam, Schwappy.com (Brent and Lee), The Blind Beggar, The Railway Club, The Mustard Seed, Covenant House Vancouver, Fadeback Studios United, Raelynn Ross Photography, Rory Watson Photography and Asher Media Relations! Thank you all for helping make my dream come to life and supporting a cause that isn’t always the most popular! 2012 would never have happened without you and 2013 will be even better with all of you on board!
- Our Bands! YOU make what we do worth it every day!
- All the “local bands” that support our touring artists on the road! Sharing your fans is one of the most generous things you can do.
- The Media that support our artists and unsigned bands along with the majors! YOU ROCK!
- The Venues and Promoters across North America that still believe in live music and supporting unsigned talent! We appreciate you more than you will ever know!
- The Fans who support the bands! For all of you that keep the music live! THANK YOU!
Looking Into the Future – 2013!
- NEW MUSIC COMING! 2013 Releases from ALL ELSE FAILS, DOC KOHLER, MATT BLAIS, STONE IRIS, VERSUS THE NOTHING! Watch for them!
- TOURS! Already in the works 2013 tours and shows for: Matt Blais, Stone Iris, Odium, 40 Sons, and more!
- R2IW! COMING SOON!
- BLANK-FEST CALGARY III, BLANK-FEST VANCOUVER II and……
- Today is only the first day of a beautiful and amazing year to come! We look forward to sharing each step forward that we make with some of the most incredible talent out there, and that we are fortunate enough to be able to work with!
Artists to Watch
Besides the obviously stellar talent on our roster, we wanted to give a little shout out to some artists out there we think have a strong year coming ahead too, as bands you should keep your eyes on! There is no way to list them ALL but here are just some to get you started!
– Open AIR, Calgary AB
– Dusty Tucker, Red Deer AB
– The Cut Losses, Vancouver BC
– Aimie Laws, Salmon Arm BC
– Diesel May, Red Deer AB
– Uh-huh Baby Yeah!, Louiseville KY
– Bloom, Calgary AB
Here’s to an amazing and SINFUL year ahead! Support live music! Support unsigned bands because all the majors started in a small bar somewhere!
I will see you where the music lives!